Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

I loved every minute I spent reading The Silver Linings Playbook! The story begins with Pat getting rescued from a mental institution by his mom. We see immediately that Pat has some OCD issues (as well as some other issues which brought the psychologist and occupational therapist in my book club to a fascinating argument) and is hell-bent on one thing: winning back the love and respect of his wife. From his parent's basement his life is centered around a schedule he designed which is guaranteed to bring him back together with his true love.

The only thing Pat seems to love as much as his wife is the Philadelphia Eagles. (BOO!) Even though Pat's an Eagles fan I could really relate to the moments he was worshiping the Eagles with his family. Whenever he did the special Eagles cheer with fellow fans I thought about shouting "IN-COM-PLETE!!!" with Broncos fans and the immense satisfaction it gives me. Sports fans will appreciate the comradery forged by the love of a team that Pat experiences throughout the tale.

This book is a real joy. Pat's eternal optimism made me smile from beginning to end. If you're feeling like you have a black cloud following you around, read The Silver Linings Playbook to give you some hope.

P.S. This is the 2nd book I read for my Colorful Reading Challenge. 7 more to go!

P.P.S. Now I can't wait to see the movie!

2 comments:

Becca said...

So glad you loved this one! I want to get to this one, too.

auntangi said...

I did not read the book, but LOVED the movie. However, based on your description of the book, I think the screenplay took a lot of license. You will have to let me know what you think of the movie version :)