Tuesday, January 1, 2013

My Favorite Books of 2012

I read 43 books last year. Here are my 9 fiction and 2 non-fiction favorites, which I recommend you read as well. They are listed in the order I read them.

fiction

Watchmen by Alan Moore - This is the first graphic novel I've ever finished. Superheroes deal with their inner demons and struggle with power trips.
Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese - reviewed here on March 11th

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden - imagine the competitive life of Geisha while learning about Japanese history. Made me cry. My favorite book of the year.
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - Follow Katniss as she battles for her life in a game designed to entertain and control the masses.

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins - The exciting sequel to The Hunger Games.
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey - reviewed here on December 28th

After Dark by Haruki Murakami - reviewed here on December 29th

The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson - reviewed here on December 29th

The Kite Runner by Kahleid Hosseini - coming of age story about a boy from Afghanistan and his best friend/family servant. Made me cry.

non-fiction

Columbine by Dave Cullen - very thoroughly researched account of the Columbine shooters, tragedy, and aftermath. Everything you think you know about what happened is wrong.

Wallace: The Underdog Who Conquered a Sport, Saved a Marriage, and Championed Pit Bulls--One Flying Disc at a Time by Jim Gorant - reviewed here on September 11th

2 comments:

auntangi said...

"Memoirs of a Geisha" is one of my all time favorite books...I would wager in my top 20 of all time. And "Kite Runner" has been on my "to read" list for a while. I think I need to move it to the top of the list :)

Captain Nick Sparrow said...

Get out the tissues!