Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

My friend Stephanie has been telling me to read The Bell Jar for about 12 years, I think pretty much since I first met her. I finally got around to it last month, and I can see why she wanted me to read it.

The story begins with Esther, the main character, living it up on a one month trip she won to New York City for winning a writing contest. It sounds like a dream for anyone, let alone a 20 year old off on her own for the first time. But as her month ends and she heads home her problems with depression begin. I'm a pretty optimistic, glass is half full kind of gal, so it has been difficult for me to relate to or grasp the idea of depression. Sylvia Plath's bell jar analogy somehow totally made it clear to me what dealing with depression must be like.

This book only covers 6 months of her life so I don't feel like I should go into too much of the story in my review. I do recommend you read it if you haven't already, and here's a quote to convince you: The trouble was, I hated the idea of serving men in any way.

P.S. This book counts as my New Adult genre for the Eclectic Reader Challenge.

1 comment:

auntangi said...

Great book! One of my all time favorites...I think I will re-read it now.