Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Horseplay by Judy Reene Singer

I read An Inconvenient Elephant by Judy Reene Singer in 2010 and loved her little quips. I picked up Horseplay because she wrote it and I like reading stories where people ride horses so I can relive my childhood through literature.

In this story Judy Van Brunt leaves her cheating husband and moves to a horse farm in North Carolina where she has secured a job as a groom. She rides horses, makes new friends, and solves a mystery. By the end of the story she even has a new man. Isn't life easy?

The author made me laugh out loud every once in awhile, and it's quotes like these that make the plot predictability worthwhile:

Men are like horses. If they're even-tempered and sweet, you stay on for the ride. If they buck around, you get off before you get hurt.

and

Normally, I would trust a new horse on trails about as much as I would trust myself in a Godiva chocolate shop.

Fulfilling my romance requirement for The Eclectic Reader Challenge was a great excuse to pick up this light summer read. Chick lit takes up less and less of my reading time as the years progress, but it's nice to revisit every once in awhile.

No comments: