Sunday, October 23, 2011

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

I read Lolita for Banned Books Week. Of all the books I own, Lolita has been banned in the most countries so I really thought I was going to read the dirtiest book ever written. {fingers crossed}
Would you believe the sex scenes are not even described?! (thankfully!-let's be real) There is more sex in Outlander by Diana Gabaldon than Lolita! (ok, there is more sex in Outlander than any book I've read to date) I think the real reason it is banned in so many countries is because...at some point in the story you begin rooting for Humbert Humbert, the dirty 30-something man! You actually begin hoping he can make things work with Lolita. Yes, this books turns you into a pervert.

It is very well written and chock-full of big words, including French ones. Reading it is an education.

P.S. This book has been on my shelf since March 13, 2009 and is the 6th book read out of 12 for the 2011 To Be Read Challenge. Eeks, I don't think I'm going to make it!

No comments: